With two Red Bull Global Rallycross races stacked back-to-back in Los Angeles, we had to come up with two lists of favorite places to drive in the Los Angeles area. Yesterday we brought you Rhys "Mad Skills" Millen's list—today, we bring you the list of two-time series champion Tanner Foust.
For two drivers with very similar backgrounds, competing in drifting events and working together on many of the same movies and commercials, their lists are quite different. But we won't spoil that here... without further ado, here's what Tanner came up with:
1. Angeles Crest: "This has been one of the unofficial testing grounds for tuners and car junkies in Southern California since the beginning of tuning and car junking."
2. Mulholland Drive: "It is often crowded but when you have friends in the CHP to shut it down, it's hard to beat."
3. Glendora Canyon: "Several canyons north of Azuza are epic, tight and never ending. Some scenes of Tokyo Drift, which I did stunt driving for, were shot here."
4. Irwindale Speedway: "The House of Drift. A few times a year this 3/8 mile oval becomes the world's most well known smoky gladiator battleground for drift. I left here with two championship titles in Formula Drift (2007 and 2008) and two X Games medals (2013). Definitely a special place."
5. LA Coliseum: "I grew up watching the torch light over the Olympics here but it later went on to house several racing events. Mickey Thompson truck racing and X Games rallycross were here, and it was the last year of the dirt cross-over jump for the latter. In 2010 I won two golds here, so I might be biased, but what a great place to race."
Tanner also gave us two bonus locations in Orange County:
El Toro Marine Base: "Home of all things car testing in the LA area. The Hot Wheels Test Facility was started there, drift testing, rallycross testing, the US Top Gear track, Indy testing and regular street car testing all takes place in this unlikely chunk of concrete."
Ortega Hwy 74: "My go to motorcycle run but still a great drive in a sports car. It's one of those passes that has 4 or 5 distinct sections changing from fast and flowing to treacherous and steep."
Photo credit: Alison Padron (1)
Images via Tanner Foust (2, 3, 4)
Tanner Foust and Volkswagen Andretti Rallycross teammate Scott Speed will be visiting Pacific Volkswagen in Hawthorne, CA on Thursday from 6:30-8:30PM. Be sure to stop by to meet the drivers before this weekend's Red Bull Global Rallycross Los Angeles doubleheader!
Click here for tickets to Red Bull Global Rallycross Los Angeles, held September 19-21 at the Port of Los Angeles in San Pedro, CA.
Click here for tickets to Red Bull Global Rallycross Seattle, held September 26-27 at DirtFish Rally School in Snoqualmie, WA.